The following types of manuscripts can be considered for peer-reviewed publication in Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics (NPG) and its discussion forum Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics Discussions (NPGD):
- Research articles report substantial and original scientific results within the journal's scope. Generally, these are expected to be between 6 and 12 journal pages, have appropriate figures and/or tables, a maximum of 80 references, and an abstract of 100–200 words.
- Review articles summarize the status of knowledge and outline future directions of research within the journal scope. These articles do not have an expected page limit or maximum number of references, should include appropriate figures and/or tables, and an abstract of 100–200 words. Before preparing and submitting a review article, please contact an editor covering the relevant subject area and the chief or managing executive editor. The manuscript title must start with "Review article:".
- Brief communications are timely, peer-reviewed, and short (2–4 journal pages). These may be used to (a) report new developments, significant advances, and novel aspects of experimental and theoretical methods and techniques which are relevant for scientific investigations within the journal scope; (b) report/discuss significant matters of policy and perspective related to the science of the journal, including "personal" commentary; (c) disseminate information and data on topical events of significant scientific and/or social interest within the scope of the journal. Brief communications have a maximum of three figures and/or tables, maximum 20 references, and an abstract length not exceeding 100 words. The manuscript title must start with "Brief communication:".
- Comments & replies are peer-reviewed, 1 page each (for a total of 2 pages), and include discussion and commentary that address significant aspects of a paper already published in NPG within the last year, without (a) becoming essentially new papers, (b) delving into too much detail, or (c) becoming personal. A comment & reply should address non-trivial points of interest to readers other than the authors of the comment and the paper being commented on. The manuscript title should start with "Comment on" or "Reply to". Please see the further guidelines on comments & replies.
- Book reviews provide a "critique" of a book and are not primarily a summary. They should contain fewer than 1000 words and start with "Book review". Please see the further guidelines on book reviews.
- Corrigenda correct errors in preceding papers. The manuscript title reads as follows: Corrigendum to "TITLE" published in JOURNAL, VOLUME, PAGES, YEAR.